Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Harry Potter is the Anti-Christ and other non-sensical comments!

There was deep concern in his voice as he made his claim. He turned toward the camera and emphatically declared that the Harry Potter books were ploys of satan to suck the spiritual life out of children! He declared that the books should be banned.  And, that Christian people should rise up and forbid their children to be duped by this vast satantic conspiracy!

 I mean this guy sitting there looking into the camera had the crednetials.  He was (and still is) a prominent televangelist. He pastors a large congregation.  Has dined with presidents and is a personal friend of Israel.  Not to mention, he has this really big chart that stretches across the platform of his church that he often refers to. Why should anyone doubt what he was saying?

This man launched a full assault of the books of J.K. Rowling.  He did everything in his power to sway millions to stay away from the budding Harry Potter franchise.  And, people listened and took what he said lock, stock and barrel.  Many never even checked Harry Potter out for themselves.  I recently spoke with a woman in the church where I attend and she said she would never read the Harry Potter books or see the movies. And, when I pressed her about it, she could not even tell me why.  In my opnion that is just doesn't make any sense.

When all the Harry Potter hoop-la started, I decided to look into this for myself.  I was not just going to take what someone said as fact without doing my own research. So, I looked in to it.  And, I became a Harry Potter fan! I have enjoyed every Harry Potter film and just saw "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" (Part 1) on opening day.  And, after watching all of those movies I have never once had the urge to sacrifice cats and worship satan.  Nor, do I find myself casting spells or flying around on brooms!  All the claims made, though well intentioned, were wrong. It just goes to show you cannot believe everything you are told.

I wonder how many people live their lives based upon what someone else has told them?  I wonder how many people live beneath their potential because they were told they did not have any?  I wonder how many have bought a bill of goods about their future from friends or even family members?  They took what someone told them as fact and did not even explore their options.  That is not just a shame.  I believe it is a sin. 

God created each of us as unique one of a kind masterpiece. He has given each of us unlimited potential. We have more potential than we will ever use in a life time.  So, rather than buy the lies that you are hopeless, destined for poverty, that life is meant to be endured, why not look into the truth?  Why not discover who you really are and what you are meant to do?  You hear a voice in you for something bigger.  Listen to that inner voice! Stop listening to those who tell you can't and start believing that you can!! The road of discovery will change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment