Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Kill The Beast


It has been calling out my name and mocking me. I swear the thing was shouting obscenities and laughing at me. For nearly six months I have attempted to ignore the taunts. Closing my eyes and putting my fingers in my ears and blubbering nonsense to drown them out. But it was no use. The insults were received. I felt the sting. Now, what was I going to do about it?

I had enough of it Today,I would tackle the beast. I would end the six months of incessant ridicule. I would prove once and for all that I could conquer this mountain! So, when I left home this morning, I brought my running clothes and shoes. Something had to change, and I was the only who could do something about it. And I did.

Yesterday I made a commitment to get myself back into shape. For the past six months I have been dealing with the ramifications from a corrective surgery that reattached my bicep tendon to the muscle and bone. the recovery has been slow and the limitations on using my arm had put a major kink in my exercise regiment. But, enough is enough. I had to do something and start somewhere. Might as well be today! So, I set out to attack the beast head on.

The beast is not some gnarly looking animal. The beast is picturesque. tranquil. even awes inspiring. But, don;t let the beast fool you. The beast is a killer! Many walk away from the beast with tongue dragging and limping. I know, been there and done that. But I had conquered the beast before. And, i was confident that i would today as well.

What is the beast? I should call the beast by it's real name: The Melbourne Cause way! A narrow strip of land comprise of three bridges over the Indian River Lagoon connecting the City of Melbourne, Florida to Indialantic, Florida. The view from atop of the bridge is breath taking. You can literally see for miles in every direction. I love the view. It is the journey to the top of the bridge that is the killer.

Six months ago, I was running this bridge three times a week! But that was six months ago. I had been chomping on the bit to attempt it again. Though, running would not be in the cards today. Today, I would walk the bridge. Leaving front street park in Melbourne and walking to Riverside drive in Indialantic and back. Cresting the top of the bridge twice. The trip is just about three miles. my concern was how much of this I could handle today. Would I just make it to the top and then come back down? Would I make it to the other side of the bridge and have to call it quits? Or could I really walk it all? One way to find out! I parked my car and hopped out.

I made the entire trip to Riverside Drive and back. Sunshine and seventy two degrees. It was a perfect day for a walk. Though coming back I did get a Little winded, still I pressed on. Like I said, the view from atop of the bridge is awesome. I could see all Atlantic ocean from up top. Blue skies, sail boats on the river, and even dolphins swimming below. It was fantastic. And, I felt like a million bucks! Getting back into my car I could not help but feel a sense of accomplishment. I had subdued the beast and had a good time doing it.

I don't know what beast is calling you names. I don't know the circumstances and situations that gave the beast power over you. But this I do know; as long as you never face your beast you will be terrified of it. My beast wasn't really the bridge. It was fear. Fear that would I would never get back on track to walk the bridge let alone be able to run it again. Fear the the injury I had sustained months before would completely limit what I could and could not do. fear that what I had accomplished previously would be lost and never be seen again. I couldn't let that happen. I will not be a prisoner in my own head. What about you? The day to change is today. The time to change is now. Take on your beast!

No comments:

Post a Comment