Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I am who I am.

I recently read a Face book Post of a friend of mine concerning the 2010 census. He stated that when he was asked to specify race he stated other and wrote in American. I can understand where he is coming from. From what I gather he feels Uncle Sam is requesting too much information and that as a people we should be willing to look past color to the bigger picture. His motivation is true and noble. However, I have to take issue with that. And, for Three reasons:
(1) American is not a race--we are a nation compiled of various and numerous ethnicity's and racial heritage. The term can be applied to anyone who was born here or became a naturalized citizen. It is a broad term that can be used by any person from any racial group.
(2) As noble as it sounds not see color when we see people, the fact is we do. We cannot help it. Part of our developmental process is to recognize differences. Ever watch Sesame Street? The song went, "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is different." We can't help it. We develop to notice differences. And, America is racially diverse! That is the truth.
(3) Respect for Authority--Jesus said "render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God the things that are God's" (Matthew 22.21). If Caesar, or Uncle Sam, asks for your full cooperation in completing a census form, you should comply. I do not think Jesus would advocate ripping up census forms and encourage us not to comply because we do not like the direction of the government. I cannot tell you what to do, only advise. But, why be the proverbial fly in the ointment? What will it accomplish?

Red, yellow, black, and white--this is how God created us. To say that we should just ignore our race is like trying to hide a elephant in plain sight. It is obvious to everyone. This is not a problem nor should it be a problem. if anything the message of Christ is of greater influence when people of every race can live, work and worship together. The bible refers to believers as "living stones" (1 Peter 2.5)--NOTE: stones not bricks. Bricks are all the same. Stones are not. This illustrates that God knows and recognizes our unique differences. His desire is to bring them all together to form a collective Mosaic. It's beauty made by the hand of God. Celebrate your uniqueness and use it for the greater good.

I will be filling out my 2010 census and I will not have a problem stating that I am just a plain vanilla wrapper. This who God made me. And, I am convinced that he made me this way for a reason. I am an American. Yes. I am. I am also the handiwork of God--his workmanship. Of neither I am not ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment