Tuesday, July 7, 2009

You Can Cook it: Jamaican Curry Chicken

A few years back, I began to experiment with cooking. I had became a fan of the Food Network, watching notable people like Emirl Lagasse prepare great food. It caused me to wonder just how hard it would be for me to cook? I mean I was known for a great grilled cheese sandwich and warming a bowl of tomato soup, but prime rib? So, I went on-line and began to pull down recipes and the rest is history.

What I learned was that something is only as hard as you make it. I had misconceptions of the complexity of cooking and making great tasting food. And, because of my perception, I was too afraid to try. But once I did, I discovered I could do a pretty good job. And, this has turned into a hobby.

Now, let's have an understanding; I am not a professional chef. So, the recipe I am about share with you, is very simple. If I can do it, anybody can do it. So, today I am going to share with you my recipe for Jamaican Curry Chicken.

Things you will need:
1. Jamaican Curry. This is not the same type of curry used in Indian cuisine. You will want to make sure you have "Jamaican Curry". There are two brands I am acquainted with: Grace's Curry and Walkerswood. Depending on who you talk to depends on which one they recommend. I prefer Grace's.
NOTE: If you are not accustomed to Jamaican seasoning, the heat can be an little over whelming. You may want to start off using the "mild" curry.

2. Whole chicken cut up-seasoned with salt and pepper

3. Four medium to large potatoes cut into small cubes.

4. One large onion-diced

5. two cloves of garlic-minced

6. three sprigs of fresh time

7. 2 tbs of olive oil

8. 2 cups water

Cooking:

Heat olive oil in a large pot ( I use a large cast iron"seasoned" pot) over high heat. Once oil is hot, add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is clear.

Add diced potatoes--stir

Add your whole cut up chicken--then use a generous portion of Jamaican curry and stir potatoes, onions and chicken.

Add water so the contents of the pot are barely covered. You may want to add more curry as well once you add the water. Throw into the springs of thyme. Let contents come to a boil. reduce heat and let cook for about an hour and stir frequently.

Once chicken is cooked serve with rice and black beans.

It is that simple and you can cook it.

No comments:

Post a Comment